Monday, November 23, 2009

My Mommy Entry # 18: My Birthing Experience (Part 1)

It’s been 2 months since I gave birth to our precious little princess Jenika Mikayla. And until now, I can still vividly recall that most unforgettable day. I want to share with you the story of the last few weeks of my pregnancy and of course, the D-Day itself.

Week 35 (September 5 – September 11)

I was on my 35th week and things haven’t been easy for me. I was having a hard time sleeping at night. I can barely walk because of the heavy weight I am carrying around, and I can’t seem to find a position which could ease the pain and discomfort I am feeling. I was already praying that days would pass by faster than usual. I was already feeling uneasy.


Week 36 (September 12 – September 18)

On my 36th week, my OB then decided that I will be having a weekly checkup. I was so excited because I knew that the big day is fast approaching. I took several days off from work this week because I couldn’t function well because of the discomfort and heaviness in my stomach. I decided to have my maternity leave form signed by our manager. I have decided to take my leave starting September 28, though my OB wanted me to take my leave on my 38th week. Gusto kasi nya masulit ko daw ang leave ko.


Week 37 (September 19 – September 26) - And baby is now full-term!

September 22, I had my checkup and my OB did an Internal Exam on me for the first time. Having read how painful it is, I already braced myself for the incoming pain. But it never came. Maybe I was expecting that the pain would be excruciating and because of that, the pain I felt wasn’t too much for me to handle. It was actually bearable. When she did the IE, it was found out that I was already 1-2cms dilated and my cervix was already thin (dilated and effaced). She then decided that I should already take my leave since labor could already start anytime. She asked me to come back to her clinic after 2 days.


My husband, Jake and I then decided to stay at my cousin’s place (Ate Mhel) since her house is nearer the hospital and she can readily bring me to the hospital should the time to give birth eventually come.


September 23, I was waiting the whole day for any signs of labor. I was so bored waiting for the moment to come. I just wanted to get this pregnancy over and done with. But my waiting was in vain. Labor didn’t come and my body was aching more than before.


September 24, I was already 37 weeks and 5 days. Hubby and cousin accompanied me to the hospital for another checkup. And I was actually praying that the dilatation of my cervix progressed already and I was hoping to be admitted that same day! I don’t know if that was a wise wish but nevertheless, I wished for it, and I think hubby did too. We were both too tired of waiting for our baby to come out.


We arrived at the hospital at around 10:30 AM. Of course as usual, my OB wasn’t there yet. So we waited for a few minutes (or should I say hours?). When the doctor came, I was already eager to be checked by her. And then my name was already called. My cousin stayed in the waiting area while hubby and I went inside the clinic. She asked me to lie down and she will again do another Internal Exam. While she was doing the IE, I was searching her face for clues – am I in labor already? Or is there no progress yet?


That’s when she told me, “Hindi ako masaya”. We asked her why. She told me that the dilatation already progressed, about 3-4cms already, but she cannot feel my baby’s head. At that point, I started to get scared. I didn’t like the sound of it. We asked her what could be the reason for that. And she right away told us that possibly baby’s head can’t fit in my pelvic bone. She gave us a 70%-30% chance of delivering via Caesarian Section. And then I felt as if the world became gloomy. I was torn. I wanted so much to give birth via Normal Delivery (since it was less expensive and the recovery time is shorter). But at the same time, I don’t want anything to happen to my baby. Another dilemma is where to give birth? Giving birth via CS in the hospital we preferred was really expensive. And I honestly didn’t know if the money we have would be enough for my delivery. But I wanted so much to give birth there because I feel like I’m more safe and secure. Should I give birth in that hospital where I feel secure but will incur more expenses? Or should I give birth to a cheaper hospital where I don’t feel safe? My hubby did the deciding for me. He told me that I will be giving birth in the more expensive hospital since he didn’t want to risk anything especially our lives. He assured me that everything will be ok. Though at the back of my mind, I was still having second thoughts. But I trusted my hubby and Him. I know He will provide.


And so we told the OB that we will be giving birth in that hospital and she gave us just a few minutes to prepare. She told us that the hospital charges additional 100% if the operation was done after 5:00PM. Actually it was barely a few minutes. Since I had to undergo an X-ray pelvimetry to check if the baby’s head really is too big for my pelvic bone. The result of the X-ray was positive. Baby’s head was indeed bigger. And she wouldn’t fit in my pelvic bone. It was already 3:30PM. I can’t help thinking that in a few hours, I’m going to be a mommy. And hubby’s going to be a daddy. I was just so elated.


We first fetched my niece Aira from school, then went back to my cousin’s place since they still have to take their lunch and I have to take another bath and we also have to fix our things and of course get the camera. And if I may add, I was no longer allowed to eat or drink! Imagine! I was so thirsty and starving!


We left our cousin’s place at around 4:15 PM. Aira came along with us. It was now a race against time. I didn’t have much time left to think about what would happen when 5:00 PM strikes. But I think it helped since I didn’t feel nervous or scared. I just wanted to get to the hospital on time.

0 comments: